Dickies Workwear aim to keep the modern worker comfortable and safe while feeling protected and looking good! Our range of flame retardant workwear is researched, designed and engineered by industry innovators and conforms to international safety standards.
Flame retardant clothing (or FR Clothing as it is commonly called) is utilised mainly by workers in the oil and gas industry, as well as those in welding and foundry environments. However, we are finding that fire retardant coveralls are also becoming more popular for leisure activities, such as motor racing.
While our garments are manufactured to the highest standards, flame retardant clothing requires special care in order to maintain its quality.
- Firstly, do remember to check the label on the garment and launder according to the instructions. Many flame retardant garments are not suitable for industrial laundry.
- Cotton, aramid and modacrylic garments can be laundered using the recommended temperatures and wash cycles. Some 3% minimal shrinkage can be expected and is a natural reaction from both the fibres and the weave construction, most noticeable during the first 3 to 5 washes.
- Please take this expected shrinkage into account when purchasing your garment.
- Be careful not to over dry garments. Exposure to excessive drying temperatures will result in higher than normal shrinkage.
- Water which is too hard affects the cleaning process and may contain mineral salts which build up on the fabric. These types of deposits, in extreme cases of build-up, can actually exacerbate the flammability of the clothing and act as an accelerant if exposed to an ignition source.
- Starches, fabric softeners, and other laundry additives should be avoided.
- Do not use chlorine bleach or other detergents or chemicals containing hydrogen peroxide! These chemicals may coat the fibre used to treat the fabric and inhibit its flame retardant properties. Some of these chemicals can also act as a fuel.
Flame Retardant Treatments
A flame retardant solution designed to treat cotton or cotton rich fabrics. The polymer in the Proban treatment is embedded within the individual fibres of the garment and is insoluble. It cannot be removed by washing - only by mechanical abrasion or incorrect laundering.
Proban fabrics meet the minimum standards required of 50 washes at 75°C. However, numerous independent tests have shown that Proban treated garments still pass this flammability test well after 100 to 150 washes.
One of the most widely used flame retardant treatments for 100% cotton fabrics. Cotton fibres are treated with a crosslink resin which ultimately creates a very strong, durable and protective link that makes the fabric resistant to shrinking or melting when exposed to heat and flame.
Dickies Pyrovatex garments are made from high-quality cotton, so they retain their lightweight properties and remain comfortable to wear.
Modacrylic fibres are synthetic and blended with cotton for a natural feel and maximum comfort. These fibres are known for their flame retardant properties, as well as their resistance to chemicals and solvents. Furthermore, their flame retardant properties do not deteriorate after repeated washing or normal use over time.
Aramid fibres are synthetic, heat resistant fibres. The high level of protection they provide does not come from chemical treatment, but is engineered into the molecular structure of the fibre itself. As a result, the heat and fire retardant qualities of the garment are permanent and will not fade over time.
Fire Retardant Products
Left to Right
- Dickies Modacrylic Polo Shirt
- Dickies Proban Coverall
- Dickies Lightweight Pyrovatex Coverall
- Dickies Pyrovatex Antistatic Coverall
Many of these garments can be made to order in different colours, and can be customized with your company’s logo. We utilise flame retardant thread when embroidering on these clothing items, so that they maintain their fire-resistant qualities. Garments with a logo on them should, therefore, be treated the same way as an ordinary item of flame retardant clothing. For a free quotation, contact us today.