30 Top Gardening Tips And Hacks
If you love gardening this is for you! We've curated 30 of the boldest, best and most interesting gardening hacks, tips and tricks from all over the internet for your enjoyment. Discover everything from growing tips to garden art ideas, space savers and more. Great for anyone who has green fingers and even better for those who don't!
1. Keep garden tools from rusting by storing them in builder’s sand.
2. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of your soil to help stop fungus from growing on your seedlings.
3. Repurpose toilet roll holders as mini biodegradable seeding pots.
4. Plant the top of a pineapple in a pot to grow another!
5. Grow wheatgrass in eggshells easily. All you need is some soil and seeds!
6. Grow roses from rose cuttings using potatoes as a base to stick the stem into - keeping the plant moist.
7. Grow lush grass by adding 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt to a gallon of water and spraying it.
8. Grow basil from leftover cuttings by letting the roots grow in a glass of water.
9. Use the cut off top of an old plastic jug to protect a seedling and create a greenhouse.
10. Sweeten your tomato plant by sprinkling some baking soda on the soil around your plant.
11. Find out how to make a ladybird feeder and attract them to your garden. All you need is a piece of bamboo, some twine, raisins and a few tools!
12. Deter animals from getting into your still-growing garden by placing plastic forks upright in the soil.
13. Repel mosquitos by planting mosquito-repelling herbs like citronella geranium, catnip and lemon thyme.
14. Make a peanut butter and orange rind bird feeder! Simply make a mixture of oats, seeds and peanut butter and add to a hollowed out orange half that you can hang on a tree branch.
15. Make a butterfly feeder by placing overripe fruit on a ceramic plate in a shady spot!
16. Paint stones and use them as vegetable markers.
17. Paint some old tyres bright colours and use them as stacked flower pots.
18. Pot plant lighting can brighten up your whole garden.
19. Use a shoe organiser to make a space-saving vertical herb garden.
20. Use an old colander to make a hanging flower pot.
21. Scratch a bar of soap before gardening to avoid getting dirt trapped under them.
22. Plant flowers in an old handbag.
23. Mix morning coffee ground leftovers into your soil for a healthy dose of nutrients, and to deter aphids.
24. Make a space saving vertical garden using old gutters as planters.
25. Line flower pots with coffee filters to stop soil falling through the holes.
26. Keep your plants alive with paper towels and a glass of water.
27. Freeze fresh herbs in ice trays to use any time you need them!
28. Attach a bucket to the wall to store your hose and hold essential attachments.
29. Use old jars to plant succulents.
30. Use an old plastic container as a watering can.
If you've found inspiration to get out into the garden this summer from the list of gardening tips above, be sure to kit yourself out properly with the correct clothing for gardening before getting down in the dirt.